Thursday, November 29, 2007

Library Discovery Day, part 2

As I mentioned downstream, I had a library discovery day for my administrators at my school. I should preface this by saying that I am blessed to have a dedicated admin staff at our school. That being said, they were quite surprised by many of the things that I told them.

If you don't tell them, they don't know.

Just showing them what my budget is for new books was rather astounding. How, you might wonder, could they not know? Well, my school is a Title 1 school. Our site plan is very detailed. If you are not in charge of a program, it is easy not to know what is going on.

If you don't tell them, they don't know.

Being good administrators, they wanted to fix this discrepancy between what we have and what we need. Yesterday at our School Site Council meeting, the council voted to approve an additional expenditure for the library. That amount, while not large, did exceed the amount originally budgeted for the library.

Why did they decide to allocate funds?

Because I told them.

5 comments:

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

Good job! Are you on the SSC? Try to get on next year. I and the Library Media Assistant are..... helps a wee bit when budget allocation times roll around :)

Tom said...

As a matter of fact, I was elected to SSC this past week. I tend to follow the money. :)

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Welcome to "Winter 2.0 Fun" -- the journey continues!

Best wishes.
- Jackie Siminitus
CSLA 2.0 Team project manager

Library Lady said...

Hi Tom. I met you on TeacherLibrarian last week. We talked about e-books. I also found your blog when I was searching "library 2.0" on Google.
Welcome to School Library Learning 2.0. I completed the course last summer and am using this as a refresher. Enjoy the journey!

Library Lady said...

Hi Tom. I actually met you last week on TeacherLibrarian network. We talked about e-books and rolling carts. Welcome to School Library Learning 2.0. I completed it last summer and am refreshing my memory and deciding on one morenew thing to add to my skills. Enjoy your journey through the 23 Things!