The presentation was given by Mark Archon, director of Administrative Leadership Services for Madera County Office of Education. This program is one of those now authorized as an "alternative, non-university" preparation program for the first tier of an administrative credential. The other two options are a traditional university-based course or the examination option.
The program consists of four pieces:
- Coursework. This is comprised of nineteen meetings over a fifteen-month period.
- Online. This includes both synchronous and asynchronous activities.
- Fieldwork. You collect and analyze data from your own site. This also includes job shadowing and a leadership project.
- Coaching. You are assigned a coach who has been trained in Cognitive Coaching. This supports on-going learning and its application.
- Modeling a standards-based system. It's not about the grade; it's about achieving a certain level of quality in your assignments.
- Modeling a Professional Learning Community.
- Providing a trained coach.
- Flexibility with locations, dates, and times.