Sunday, November 18, 2007

CSLA Wrap-up

The California School Library Association was an amazing event for me because:

  • I got free books! I think I ended up with about 16 hard-cover books. That's easily a couple hundred dollars worth of books. (And, yes, I put this first!)
  • Getting to bump into people like Barbara Jeffus and Martha Rowland who have had (and continue to have) these amazing library careers (and who are also neat people).
  • Getting to hang out with my local library folks (whom it is often difficult to see).
  • Having Margaret Baker show me publishers (and if you have never had that happen, you have missed out!).
  • Seeing many of the students from Fresno Pacific's LIB 720 course (and, yes, this was an assignment for all of us).
  • The great presentations from such experienced folks!
  • Putting faces to names from CALIBK12
  • Getting a sense of the "politics" of the organization.
  • Getting to meet some of the authors.
I will definitely go again in 2008. Well worth the time, effort, and money. Being a first year library media teacher, I learned a great deal and, not the least of which, is that I made the right decision to become a librarian.

1 comment:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Tom,
It is a pleasure to read your posts on CALIBK12 and on your blog -- love your energy and assessment of issues and 2.0 tools.

Hope you have fun over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. It is the time when I do things like updating lists and links, including a "Gift Guide for Library Lovers" that I created for fun about 4-5 years ago! See Advocate4Libraries.blogspot.com if you need gift ideas for your fellow book buddies.

Best wishes.
- JackieS
CSLA 2.0 Team project manager