Wednesday, September 5, 2007

LibraryThing

I uploaded my entire catalog to LibraryThing beginning yesterday. That website provides a way to allow students, faculty, and administrators to see which books your library holds. Thus far I have been impressed with how relatively easy the process was.

All I had to do was export a file from Alexandria and then upload it to LibraryThing. The first time I attempted the upload, it didn't work because the file was too large. However, after I went back and only exported the ISBNs, it worked fine. The original export just had too much data.

I have now had several teachers try it out. The search engine is adequate, so it can really help students at home wanting to know if we have books on a particular topic.

You can see our catalog here.

2 comments:

Lib. Learner Liz 2.0 Cheerleader said...

This is a great idea. I will try uploading our whole collection too!

Tom said...

One thing I discovered was that I need to modify the export to only include ISBN numbers. Otherwise the file was too big for LibraryThing.