Saturday, January 26, 2008

Teacher Librarian Services Credential

As loyal readers may recall, I mentioned that the credential for those that do what we do has changed. We are no longer Library Media Teachers. As of January 1, 2008, all new credentials issued will say Teacher Librarian.

I have now found the document that tells you all about it on the Commission on Teacher Credentialing's website.

See: Teacher Librarian Services Credential

The one advantage to the new title is that I no longer have to explain what is I do. Very few understood what a Library Media Teacher was and we have had that title since 1990 (when they issued the first LMT credentials). Everyone understands Teacher Librarian because they skip that first part.

By the way, I still think it should be Teacher-Librarian (with hyphen).

2 comments:

Marie Slim said...

I too think it should have a hyphen! Thanks for posting this!

Ms. D said...

Definitely Teacher-Librarian, with the hyphen! I just found your blog (after reading your great post on the listserv about the rewards of working at an inner-city school) and am enjoying it -- I subscribed to your feed so that I can read your newest posts! -- Miranda Doyle, Martin Luther King Middle School, San Francisco